March 20, 2018 was the real-time debut of NNPEN’s Office Hours to you, our potential NP Entrepreneur customers, and it was scary. Here’s how we coped:
- We learned not to fall apart when we didn’t meet a deadline (like when we blew our November 2017 roll-out date for Office Hours).
- We convinced ourselves that Office Hours would be a success even if only one person showed up (i.e., whether to one or one hundred, we have declared ourselves as LIVE to the outside world, both in real time and in digital format).
- We prepped. Brian, our IT guru, made NNPEN’s vision visible on rotating NNPEN info panels that filled the Zoom screen.
- We wrote a script. We timed each of our parts to be SURE that we left time for audience Q&A. We wrote questions to ask if no one in the audience asked any.
- We laughed, even when our weekly NNPEN status call had already run 30 minutes overtime.
In fact, many more than one NPE (NP Entrepreneur) joined our Office Hours debut, and you came from all over the country: Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, DC, Connecticut, Pennsylvania Minnesota.
So why am I telling you this? Recall that NNPEN is a start-up too. If we can identify and share barriers to, and secrets of, success at one start-up (NNPEN), there’s a good bet that NPEs (NP Entrepreneurs) out there are encountering the same challenges and want to talk about it. This blog, we hope, will be a forum for nurse-led start-up experience-sharing.
Here are some takeaway from the Office Hours rollout:
- DON’T LET DELAYS OVERCOME YOU…and DON’T LOSE FOCUS
- HAVE A PLAN
- HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN
Join Office Hours every third Tuesday at 8:30-9:30 pm ET. Our next call will be April 17, 2018. Calls will be open to all until the end of July; at that time our monthly call will become members-only. Join NNPEN now as a charter member; but first, come look us over: Click here TO FIND OUT MORE
Until next blog,